Snapshot of Dysart
By Gladys Petrar
The Village of Dysart is situated in the RM of Lipton # 217 and was named after Dysart, Fifeshire, Scotland. It was incorporated on April 6, 1909, and had a population of 79. The population now fluctuates around 200.
During and after the Depression, the rural population declined, and the village suffered the effects. Then into the World War II era and into the 1970s and 1980s businesses benefited from better economic and agricultural times. Despite the setbacks in the 1990s and into the 21st century, with farms becoming larger, the school closing, and some businesses shutting down, the community continues to cope through dedication, cooperation, and volunteerism.
Amenities that residents are proud of include our water (one of the best in southern Saskatchewan), natural gas, high speed internet, a "top notch" fire department, bar and restaurant, community centre, senior's subsidized housing, paved streets, museum, library, park and playground area. There is also a "state of the art" skating rink built in 1988, mostly by volunteers, following the fire that destroyed the old skating and curling rinks in 1987.
Click On Image to Enlarge
Sports include bowling, hockey, figure skating, slow-
Local businesses include Agrimex, Countryside Supplies, Co-
Click Here for more information.
The Dysart and District History Book, 2nd Edition
Books can be mailed, but an additional shipping and handling charge will be applied
For more information contact:
Janet Bradshaw 432-
Gladys Petrar 432-